The Future is Now: Part 2 – The Call to Obedience
Who are we called to be?
At HFCN we are committed to living lives of complete obedience to God. So we sense His love compelling us to worship Him wholeheartedly but, more than that, we will reach beyond our walls to welcome the outsider, the broken, the lost, the hopeless. Our work to bring hope to others through the person of Jesus Christ will make us relevant and valuable in our community.
Last week: The Call to relevance
This week: The Call to obedience
Our new mission statement:
Transformed by God to bring hope to others through Christ.
Transformados por Dios para traer esperanza a otros a través de Cristo.
2 Corinthians 5:14-17
He died so we might live through Him.
…His death, His payment for our sins, gives us access to forgiveness instead of the penalty of death
He died so we might live for Him.
…we want to live our lives for His honor, for His glory, for His purposes
He died so we might live with Him.
…we experience His power at work in us and the promise of eternal life with Him
The bottom line:
The transforming work of God begins the moment we say yes.
* God does the transforming work as we obey Him
* Disobedience has the power to stunt God’s transforming work
* Obedience and transformation go together. You don’t have one without the other.
* As we introduce this brand new mission statement, our first focus must be on obedience.
“Transformation into Christlikeness is not going to happen unless we act…what transforms us is the will to obey Christ Jesus.“
“Christianity does not begin with our pursuit of Christ, but rather His pursuit of us. Christianity does not with an invitation we offer to Jesus, but an invitation Jesus offers to us.”
* How will you respond to His invitation?
* We are a holiness church, meaning we believe that the power of God can transform us, to make us like Him, as we obey Him.
Texts for Further Study/Reflection:
1 Samuel 15:22